Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Toffee Brownies

So, I have been doing a lot of desserts lately. I find desserts are easier to do because I usually have most of the ingredients on hand compared to savory dishes. I also can do part of the recipe first and come back to finish it later in the day-- as with this toffee topped brownie.


I did the brownie in the morning before I went to work. I mixed the batter and asked someone to take it out of the oven when the timer rings while I took my shower. Left it to cool and returned later that day after work and ate dinner. Mixed the frosting and topped it before transporting the cut brownies to serve at our weekly Bible Study meeting. (yeah, I do go to Bible study!)


You'll need:


6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter
4 tsp. instant coffee powder
4 eggs (room temp)
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour


TOPPING:
1 block cream cheese (room temp)
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp powdered sugar
1 1/3 cup almond roca, chopped (I didn't have any so I used snickers bars)


This actually does not require a mixer... I did the batter by hand using a wire whisk.


Preheat oven to 350F or 180C. butter and flour a 13 inch square baking dish.


melt the chocolate, butter with expresso ---place a bowl over a  sauce pan with simmering hot water. slowly whisk it until it melts into a smooth consistency. (careful with the bowl... it may be hot!). cool slightly.


Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add vanilla and salt. Whisk in melted chocolate. Add flour and stir until just blended. Spread batter into a prepared dish . bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool before frosting.




for the topping:


blend cream cheese, cream and vanilla (you can use a hand blender or just a whisk----important the cream cheese is at room temperature for better blending) until smooth. Mix in sugar.


spread topping over brownies. sprinkle with almond roca or snickers.






VERDICT:


This recipe is not for a dieter... for sure!  The brownie was just the right sweetness and the cream cheese topping added a new element because it gave it a sour after taste. The snickers topping was a nice surprise when you bite into it. Nutty and sweet. Some of those who tried it were asking about the topping.... how did I make it? it was sooo yummy.....! hahaha (I whispered it was snickers bars)


It is also easier if you refrigerate the brownies first before you serve. The frosting will become easier to handle.  (it will not be so runny)


This one made me think of the Goldilocks and the 3 bears... the topping was sweet, the cream cheese a little sour and then the brownie was JUSSST RIGHT.....

No comments:

Post a Comment