Friday, August 12, 2011

Profiterole-ing in the Deep

The first time I've ever heard of Profiteroles was in Junior Masterchef Australia, I thought to myself, "dang these kids! Profiteroles must be really hard to make!" I couldn't be any more wrong. Profiteroles or cream puffs are actually really easy to make!


Here's what you will need:

This recipe will yield 12 pcs.

4 cup of water
1 stick (113g) of butter (unsalted)
1/2 tsp salt (skip this if butter is salted)
1 cup all purpose flour
4 pcs eggs at room temperature

The instructions said to preheat oven at 400 degrees. I found out that 400 degrees in my oven wasn't hot enough, I had to increase it to around 480 to get the profiterole batter to be even a bit excited.

For the batter, put the water, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium low heat. Remove from heat. Add the flour all at once and stir well with a wooden spoon until the flour is completely mixed in. Turn the heat back on to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Scrape the dough into a large bowl.


With a whisk or wooden spoon, beat in the eggs one at a time until all four eggs are well incorporated. Spoon the dough into 12 rounded mounds onto the prepared baking sheet, the size is around the size a bit bigger than a ping pong ball maybe? and it'll pop up to the size of a tennis ball. Dip your finger into a little water and smooth out the edges to make sure that no small bits burn.


Bake them for 45 minutes and let cool for 30 minutes before filling!
To watch how to make it, because it was difficult for me to cook and be the photographer at the same time; watch the video by Laura Vitale!

1 comment:

  1. Its so yummy looking... if I wasn't on a no carb diet, I would eat these by the dozen.

    ReplyDelete