Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ba Ba Na Na Banana

I seriously have to find another time to bake other than after office hours / before bedtime. haha!

Today my good friend Jennifer came over to bake with me! She called me after she saw my Pan de Sal photo in facebook and asked where I went to learn how to bake, or was I attending classes haha. I told her that everything she needs to know is in YouTube!

So we decided to come together and try baking something: Banana cake!

I got this recipe from Laura Vitale, and here's the link to the recipe: http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/arch/banana_bread.html you'll find both the recipe and the video in the link.

Supposedly, the banana cake should be in a 9"x5" pan but i decided to use my new cupcake pans and cute monkey cupcake liners I bought from Gourdo's, these were Wilton Jungle Pals liners; then I still had a little batter left so i had to find whatever I had on hand, which was a square stainless container and an ensaimada tin which I have no idea where it came from.


This recipe of the banana cake is GREAT!!! Laura is right, she said it is the best banana bread recipe you'll ever find! Instead of baking the bread as said in the recipe for 1 hr 10 minutes, because I made them into small cupcakes, it only took 20-30 minutes and the sure fire way to check it is to push a toothpick in and see if it comes out clean.



Another thing we changed in the recipe is the salt. We couldn't find unsalted butter so we used regular butter and skipped the 1 tsp. salt.

The banana came out really light, moist, the top was crispy and it smells GRREAT! In my opinion, the bread was too sweet, i think i might reduce the amount of sugar on my next batch; my sister also commented that the bananas I used might have been to small so will also have to maybe add 1 more piece of banana into the mixture.

I also tried Laura's maple butter even though I think it's too oily and fattening but it turned out quite nice (like the rest of the evil stuff in this world).

Jennifer and I might just make baking a regular thing between us! It's a great excuse to hang out and eat! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment