Friday, July 15, 2011

Tiramisu- Disney version





I must say, TIRAMISU is probably one of my favorite desserts. There are just so many ways of making it and just as many ways people prefer to eat it.


This is the first time for me to make tiramisu and I was a little apprehensive on how it would turn out. First of all, there is the "what recipe do I use?" question. there were several that I researched and all with different levels of difficulty. In the end however, since as I said, this will be my first tiramisu. I chose a relatively easy recipe. (Anna Olson's complicated one for next time) ----where is the recipe from? Its from a free handout from Rustan's supermarket. Honestly, I keep mentioning Rustan's so much in my posts that they need to pay me for the endorsement! hahaha


You'll need


8 medium eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 pound mascarpone (about 500grams or 2 tubs)
1 cup brewed coffee
1/3 cup rum (optional)
25 lady fingers (approx)
cocoa powder for dusting
chocolate (for shaving-- I added this part)





In a bowl, combine egg yolks with the sugar, Using a handmixer, blend on high speed for 3 minutes. Add mascarpone. (one thing about mascarpone is that you can't really find it readily on every supermarket shelf, like say, cream cheese. I could only find it in Rustans or maybe if I tried, Santis. the last time I was in Rustans, I couldn't find this. Landmark supermarket has a wide selection or maybe S & R... you can try there too)  beat for another 2 minutes, or until the mixture is uniform and creamy. set aside (I put mine in the refrigerator)




In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. (maybe 3 minutes). Gradually fold in the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture. (you should do this gently, to maintain the airiness of the whipped egg...) I try to not over mix it too... a few swivels of the spatula was good for me. At this point, I kept asking myself if this was actually the way this was supposed to look, but I kept going.




prepare the coffee and pour into a shallow dish. I was thinking if I should put the rum in or not, since I was serving this to my kids. I opted to put just a tinnie bit... like 1 capful (as in the cap of the rum bottle) in the cup of coffee. One by one, dip the lady fingers in the mixture and layer into your 8-inch square dish. I try to not leave them too long in the coffee as they might get too soggy or the coffee flavor will get too powerful my kids won't eat it. spread a thin layer of mascarpone cream on top, followed by another layer of coffee dipped lady fingers. Continue until you have 3 layers and finish with the cream.




use a small sieve (I learned this watching all those shows on TV), put a tablespoon of cocoa powder and dust the top. For added bonus (this is optional if you don't have chocolate on hand) shave some chocolate on top too (you can use a cheese shredder and some hershey's chocolate if you don't have bittersweet)




the cream is spilling over!


So, here is the verdict.


My single friends thought the Tiramisu lacked punch (as I said, not much rum in it) while my friends who has kids absolutely loved it. I actually thought it tasted very tiramisuey...the texture was very light and the sweetness was just right. My friend Vivian actually asked for seconds (I sent her some) -


Candie said the brand you use for the ladyfingers  has taste and texture difference and recommended Eng Bee Tin. I might try it next time I make this. If you like an airy and not so alcoholic tiramisu... this is the recipe for you. For a tiramisu with a punch, you might want to try Candie's version - she will post it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment