Thursday, July 7, 2011

Easy Breezy Hainanese Chicken

Most the food I eat is very much influenced by my family.  Both of my parents are great cooks!  They aren't necessarily chefs or anything but they each have the talent for cooking.  My dad cooks great Chinese food and my mom cooks the best beef soup and legendary Beef Stew, in which I will force her to cook soon so I can blog about it too! :) hehe

I work in our family business, which requires our family to have our lunches at the office, that is why we have to make our lunches special.  People usually have family dinners, we have family lunches.

The other day I had my friends Zara and Jan over for impromptu lunch, so I had to cook up something for them!  So I thought of Hainanese Chicken!


You will need:

1 whole chicken (you can opt for all white meat or all dark meat, but I   
                          think chicken with skin is better)
1 cup ginger, minced then mash (dikdik with mortar and pestle )
1/2 cup spring onion, minced then mash
1 cup vegetable oil - any kind of oil
salt to taste


Firstly, season the chicken with a little salt and then rub on the ginger.  Prepare a steamer and place the marinated chicken inside and steam for approximately 20 minutes or until done.  Make sure not to over cook or the meat will be tough.

For the ginger sauce, put in the sauce pan the mashed ginger and spring onion.  Put just enough oil to cover ginger and spring onion in the sauce pan and then put on heat, when it boils, turn down the heat to low then season with salt to taste.  You'll know it's done when the oil has turned green and is infused with ginger-spring onion flavor!

There you go! Easy breezy Hainanese Chicken!





No comments:

Post a Comment