Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fish head claypot

My husband really like hotpots. One sunday he bought a really big grouper at the wet market and got a bright idea to make a fish head claypot dish out of the head...

so here is what we made:


He even bought 1 kilo of LECHON (roast pig) to put in this. Although you can do this with just lean pork.

You'll need:
1/2 kg fish head
50g lean pork
4 chinese dried mushroom (reconstituted in hot water)
1 large firm bean curd
2 slices ginger root
2 scallions
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp rice wine or sherry
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp flour
1 1/4 cup stock
oil for deep frying

Clean fish head and chop. Rub some salt inside and out. Coat with flour and deep fry in oil. Set aside


Cut the pork, mushrooms,bean curd and ginger into small slices. Heat a little oil in the pot and stir fry ginger and scallions till fragrant. put in the pork, mushrooms and bean curd. Sitr for awhile and add the rice wine, soy sauce, stock and fish head.

bring to a boil. add a little salt (taste it first) and reduce heat. Simmer for about 7 minutes.

Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve while hot.

NOTES:

My husband said it really came close to the restaurant version. Personally, I would have fried the bean curd before putting it in. I was reluctant to stir the pot because I might "break" the soft bean curd and it would crumble on me. The pork really adds flavor to this. I think you can use lechon kawali (deep fried prok belly) or come other crispy pork as the pork element.

I bought the claypot in ONGPIN (chinatown) and depending on the size, it would cost around 400-600 pesos (I gotta tell you, you have to haggle with the store owner.)- The good thing about this is you can go straight from the stove to the table using this pot.

I hope you try this and tell me what you think. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment