Monday, November 21, 2011

Tomato Basil Bruchetta


We had our very first dinner party (the ladies got together) at my house last week. We've been talking about this for quite some time. I was really excited to host my partner at my new house.

I decided to serve an appetizer and a main (I had no time to prepare a soup) and it was only me, Candie and my husband.(well, at first...) Candie also decided we would bake  a red velvet cupcake at my house when she arrived.

One of the best and easiest starters is bruchetta. 




You'll need:
1 french bread loaf
8 tomatoes
1/3 cup fresh basil (you can find this at the supermarket)~ chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1-2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

slice bread and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes (you can brush with olive oil before putting in oven to make it more brown)

boil 2 cups water in a pan, make an X mark on the top of the tomatoes with a knife and dip them into the boiling water for 30 seconds. (get a water in a bowl and put some ice ~ this is called an ice bath). scoop the tomatoes from the pan and plunge into the ice bath.
By this time, the skin would be easy to peel. Take the skin off and chop in half. Remove the seeds and chop into cubes. (deseeding and taking the skin off the tomatoes makes for a nicer end product). Mix all the rest of the ingredients together.

When ready to serve, take the slices of french bread and top with the tomato mixture. Get a nice plate and SERVE!!

We kindda munched on the first batch of these while cooking the cupcakes and waiting for Candie's friend to arrive. (Hey Zara!!!) The kids also wolfed the bread down pretty quickly. (I had to make another batch)~~of course, my basil plant kindda went bald after that night... hahahaha

The crunchy bread and the sour/sweet tomato balsamic was perfect! hope you try this!


delicioso!!! (if I do say so myself!!)



1 comment: