Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chocolate Chunk Cookies



I used to dislike Martha Stewart. I thought she was mean and very "plastic"... well, this is from the things I read from the gossip magazines. Lately though, I have watched several of her shows and even subscribed to her magazine- Martha Stewart Living.


Whatever the case, I found her magazine VERY well written and full of information on home decor, recipes and crafts you can do. It also has links to her website where you can download labels stencils you can use to package the food you make. -- and this is for FREE!!!


So, when I went to the bookstore and found her cookbook on sale, I quickly bought it. She has several volumes on different topics. I bought the MARTHA STEWART COOKIES. There are others like pies and cupcakes, To see it click HERE


So, I was eager to try her recipes and see how good they were. My daughter (the slave driver), "ordered" the milk chocolate cookies. (to tell you, my daughter loves looking at cookbooks and giving me "orders" on what she wanted. However, most of the time, she just tastes one and leaves the rest)


For this you will need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably HERSHEYS... it just tastes better)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 ounces (1 cup) milk chocolate (I used bittersweet)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat your oven to 325F or 160C. whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt in bowl. (I sifted these onto wax paper so you can easily pour the contents on the bowl when you are mixing)


Melt 4 ounces of chocolate over a heatproof bowl set over some boiling water. let cool slightly
tip: I used to store my chocolate in the fridge, but this made it impossible to chop once you needed it. So I opted to store it in my cupboard in a plastic container. Is was SOOOO much easier when I wanted to bake. Just don't put it in an area where it is too hot. (like near an oven).






Put chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs and vanilla into a bowl and mix at medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low and mix in the flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chunks.


Using a ice cream scopper, scoop the batter unto a wax paper lined  baking sheet. (this is for easy clean ups), about 2 inches apart. bake until cookies are flat and surfaces crack. about 15 minutes.


The verdict???
It was a success!!! The cookies were very chewy, like the ones you buy from Mrs.Fields. My daughter, the picky eater that she is, consumed most of the cookies. (she took them to school with her)-- she even asked me to make them again! (shock)


newly baked, the chunks of chocolate in the batter were gooey and literally melt-in-your-mouth




What I find about Martha Stewart is that she gives you the best recipes. I have tested another one in the book and it turned out great too. She also included (in the book) tips on how to package the cookies and lots of tips on rolling, decorating, etc which I haven't seen in other books. She is very thorough in making a cookbook. LOVE IT. Can't wait to try the others in the book. I just hope my waitline can cope! hahahah

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter is a slave driver and an emotional bully!!! Hahaha im glad she approved of your baking this time around :) haha

    ReplyDelete