Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dalandan Sorbet

I always to wanted to make my own ice cream and sorbets. When I lived in my small townhouse, the kitchen was quite small so I couldn't overload it with all the things I wanted (like a big mixer and ice cream maker).


Of course when you are still young and starting out, you really have a tight budget so buying a lot of stuff is not really practical. Fast forward a few years and 3 kids later, I needed to amp up my cooking. I had ordered a KITCHEN AID MIXER and the accompanying ice cream attachment (to save space) in AMAZON in NOV 2009. It is only this year, when we moved to the new house (with the bigger kitchen) that I got the opportunity to take it out and use it. (can you imagine 1 1/2 years in storage?)


One of the recipes I tested is the Dalandan (mandarin orange) sorbet. I saw these lucious looking dalandan at the market and thought of doing a sorbet.


If you know us (candie and I) you would see how similar and different we both are. Candie is young, single and still has a lot of GET-GO. I, on the other hand, am a bit older, has a family with kids and has BEEN THERE DONE THAT. (hahaha). The only things we have is the love for fashion and food!!! So, for the most part, my recipes are more family and child friendly than Candie's. She has a more adventurous streak with regards to using alcohol in recipes. Although, for this one, I will include a "single" version...


YOU'LL NEED
2 cups dalandan juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cups water
2 cups sugar (you can reduce this)


put water and sugar in a saucepan and heat till sugar dissolves. pour in dalandan juice and lemon juice (I put this in for extra bite) chill for at least 4 hours in refrigerator


If you have an ice cream maker, pour in the mix and use the mixer as directed.
if you don't have one. click HERE for instructions on how to make it.


FOR SINGLES:
add 1/2 cup orange liqueur to the mix before chilling.


scoop and serve with a sprig of mint


ADDENDUM:
I have to say, after freezing the second batch of sorbet with the liqueur in it and taste testing it, you couldn't really taste the liqueur. The only difference was that the texture was frostier and less dense than the one I did not add the liqueur to. It was also a bit more sweeter. So I guess it the second batch (the spiked one) is still ok for the kiddies. It is also easier to scoop out.





No comments:

Post a Comment