Monday, December 19, 2011

Caramelized walnut

I have always loved walnuts. I particularly like them caramelized. You know when you get those salads where you have caramelized walnuts? You get something soft and a bit sour (lettuce and vineagrette) and then something crunchy and sweet (walnuts)


Forgive me if I only have the recipe for the walnuts. 






I am planning to serve something with caramelized walnuts for Christmas. This is a pretty straightforward recipe and I am guessing you can use this for several recipes I will be testing in the coming weeks


You'll need just three ingredients:


1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cup walnuts
combine sugar and vinegar in saucepan until sugar melts. about 3 minutes. add walnuts and toss.
make sure the sugar is well melted


mix mix mix

pour into a lined baking sheet. I used a baking liner for mine but you can use wax paper or foil. I find that investing in a liner reduces the wax paper consumption because you can reuse the liner and the items won't stick. (eco friendly too)


cooled walnut
I have read some recipes that instruct you to bake the walnuts in a oven some more. But I found that not baking it works too. At the time, I was using my oven for some other recipe and my walnut cooled. I tasted it and it turned out quite good so I skipped the baking part. I broke the walnuts in chunks and readied them for my recipe. -- here I used them to top my salad. (picture above)... if you want to know, its just tossed lettuce, some leftover ham, chopped tomatoes and a mix of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. 


Watch out for my next recipe involving caramelized walnuts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment